Sunday, July 10, 2011

CROISSANT BREAD PUDDING!

I have never been a fan of bread puddings, I find they are either too soggy or dry. About 2 years ago i saw one on TV that just called my attention and it involved one of my favorite breakfast breads, the Croissant. I always prefer a good croissant over a biscuit especially if the croissant is with ham and cheese. I saw this pudding and it made sense to me; the croissant is nice and buttery and it will be tasty and moist so i gave it a try adding a few ingredients of my own and doing my own little thing with the them. The original recipe calls for too much half and half so i changed it to make it a little bit more figure friendly( a little bit, not much otherwise it does not make sense to make it  remember you only make it every now and then, so enjoy.)  The results were outstanding. I am asked for this recipe over and over again. I hope you like it.

INGREDIENTS:


3 Whole eggs
5 Egg Yolks
2 Cups of half and half
3 cups of whole Milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla
2 cans of condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup of raisins ( or dried cranberries would work as well).
6-12 Croissants depending on their size.
1/4 cup of Brandy ( optional but gives it a little kick) if you don't have brandy use clear rum.
1 cup of warm Butterscotch. ( optional)
Whip cream ( optional)

Soak the raisins or cranberries in the 1/4 cup of rum or brandy let them sit for at least and hour ( better overnight).
Combine wet ingredients, cut the croissants in half then layer them with raisins, pour the wet contents on top of croissants. Press the croissants so they will absorb the liquid let it soak for 5-10 minutes.

Cover the pan with foil put in hot water bath and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Then take out uncover and put back for 15 minutes. Broil the last 1 minute.  Serve hot-warm.

Note: When you serve you can add either whipped cream or the hot butterscotch but i like it just the way it is. There are times that I use toasted slivered almonds as a topping.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment